The world beyond imagination starts from here
innovative "ideas" and highly competitive "technologies" and
challenges to realize a rich society by utilizing aerospace.
we create future from aerospace.
Success of Missions
As National Research and Development Agency, JAXA, looking at the next decade, will create high-value-added mission and competitive systems by conducting R&D and technology demonstration regarding innovative technologies that dramatically improve the functions/performance of space systems as well as “dual utilization” technologies that are useful for both space development such as space exploration and ground business/social solution, and those efforts will be pursued jointly with industries, including non-space business, in an expanded open innovation approach.
Through these efforts, we will contribute to technological innovation and the promotion of a wide range of industries, as well as promote projects at JAXA, strengthen the competitiveness of private companies, accelerate commercialization, and encourage the entry of different industries, SMEs, and startup companies into the space field. As the major challenges in the 4th mid-term plan, we set the following themes, and we will work on research and development to resolve these challenges by collaborating with each directorate of JAXA as well as related institutions and organizations.
- To ensure the continued independence of Japan's space transportation system and to strengthen its competitiveness in the future market, as innovative “R&D on the future space transportation systems” aiming at drastic cost reduction, JAXA as a whole will work together to conduct research and development of innovative technologies such as reusable technology, innovative material technology, innovative propulsion system technology (liquefied natural gas (LNG), airbreathing), innovative manufacturing technology, and reliability and safety technologies for manned transportation, taking into account the upgrading of mainstay rockets.
- Under the Satellite Development and Demonstration Platform established by National Space Policy Secretariat at the Cabinet Office and the Committee on National Space Policy, JAXA will conduct R&D and demonstration of challenging and innovative satellite technologies that can be utilized by the public and private sectors, key components that Japan should maintain, and new development and manufacturing methods (digitalization, etc.), in cooperation with various government ministries, universities, research institutes, and private businesses including startup companies.
- Centered around the areas where JAXA has strong points in, such as simulation technology, highly-reliable software technology, mounted equipment and parts with high global competitiveness, advanced rocket engines, we aim to contribute to enhance JAXA’ s competitiveness in highly advanced space projects and resolve challenges where JAXA strengthens the collaboration among the industry, government, and academia as its core.
- We also interact and collaborate with areas other than aerospace in order to take in wide knowledge that resides in Japan for enhancing our space technology as well as to utilize space technology to challenges various areas are facing. By doing this, we aim to contribute to maximize and spread the results as the whole country. Furthermore, in the future, depending on the expansion of utilization of aerospace, for the areas that need improvement and enhancement, we will utilize competitive research funds, introduce private funds, and mobilize human resources to promote agile research and development.
- We will contribute to securing Japan's international competitiveness by taking on the challenge to create a new aerospace market and steadily acquiring debris removal technologies by collaborating with private businesses that aim to operationalize the aerospace debris countermeasures ahead of the world. As the major challenge here, we aim to demonstrate our technologies of the world-first, low-cost debris removal service targeted for large rocket debris. Furthermore, towards its operationalization, we will collaborate with the Japanese government as well as domestic and foreign related organizations to contribute to the early realization of international rules for aerospace debris countermeasures on a stage such as the UN based on the demonstration results of our technologies.
- We will cooperate with private businesses to perform research and development and develop technologies that foresee the needs of the market, and demonstrate these technologies. By doing so, we aim to create leading services and globally competitive systems ahead of the world.
- In the international space exploration field, which is a new frontier, in order to lead the plan with excellent technologies and designs as an essential international partner, we will perform research and development to polish our own technologies, which have high superiority in exploration and analysis on planets, as well as efficient access to environmental control, life support, radiation protection, gravitational planets, etc.